Editor-In-Chief: Charbel Baini

Book Launch at St George Cathedral



7 July 2014
“St George Cathedral Iconostasis”

By Marcelle Mansour
“Commemoration, Preservation and Thanksgiving Service”
Under the Patronage of His Eminence Metropolitan Archbishop Paul Saliba, The Dean and the Parish Council of St George Cathedral, Redfern, “St George Cathedral Iconostasis” book was launched on Sunday, June 6, 2014, at the Cathedral Hall, Sydney after the Divine Liturgy. In the presence of Mr Ron Hoeing MP, Member of the Legislative Assembly, Member for Heffron Shadow Minister for Energy, and Shadow Minister for Ports in the New South Wales Parliament, Member of the Australian Labor Party; Sir Nicholas Michael Shehadie AC, OBE; Archbishop Nicholas Mansour OAM; a number of distinguished guests and journalists from various print media.
The event marks a “Commemoration, Preservation and Thanksgiving Service” celebrating the conversation and preservation works undertaken in partnership with the NSW Government, on four of the unique set of Russian icons brought for the historic Iconostasis by Father Shehadie at the time of the Bolshevik revolution,100th anniversary of the arrival of Father Nicholas Shehadie, and the founding of the Australian Antiochian Orthodox Church, and acknowledge with gratitude, the forefathers of the Church and the successive clergy. 

The commemoration of St George Antiochian Orthodox Cathedral at Redfern marked a significant community event. It was established by The Very Reverend Father Nicholas Shehadie who was born in 1862 and. After his ordination served the Church in Lebanon in 1913, Fr Nicholas was sent to Australia and New Zealand as the Patriarchal Exarch -(an Eastern bishop ranking below a patriarch and above a metropolitan)- in order to serve the Australian Arabic-Speaking Orthodox people. In 1920, the NSW State Government leased a block of land on the Corner of Walker and Redfern Sts, Redfern, where the first Antiochian Orthodox church was built. This church was placed under the patronage of St George is now the Cathedral.
The book is published by St George Antiochian Cathedral Parish Association Inc. It was first presented 15 May 2012 (edited 4 March 2014). Cover page St George Antiochian Cathedral Iconostasis with Royal Doors and tiers of icons that separate the sanctuary from the nave/congregation. It consists of two volumes and 76 pages, printed n colour and bound in Sydney Australia by Glory Printing Kingsford, ISBN 978-0-9925449-0-4. Historian Authors are Emil N. Dan (St George Antiochian Orthodox Cathedral) and Robyn Christie ( HOUSE HISTORIES). Parish Priest of the Cathedral is Rt. Rev. Father Nabil Kachab, Dean of St George Cathedral. 
A brief insight into the Antiochian Orthodox Church and the significance of the icons in the life of the faithful was given by the Dean Rt. Rev. Father Nabil Kachab and a short address by Church historian Mr Emil Dan, in the launch of the book “St George Cathedral Iconostasis”. “Eastern Orthodoxy continues to give strong importance to the use and veneration of icons. The iconology is rooted in the theology of the incarnation of Christ, that Christ is the eikon (image) of God, uniquely uniting the divine and the  human.” Ref. page 23 of the book 
Refreshments were served afterwards in the hall with the displays, photographs and book signing by Mr Emil Dan who has spent 50 years as a member of the community historian and publisher.
PICTURED:
Mr Ron Hoenig MP with Sir Nicholas Shehadie
Sir Nicholas Shehadie, AC, OBE with Marcelle & Maurice Mansour
Mr Emil Dan with Marcelle Mansour

Marcelle Mansour

0 comments: